Pairing Gruner Veltliner with food
Our Grüner Veltliner is super refreshing so you don’t need to pair it with food to bring the best out in the wine, you can easily sip it on its own, lightly chilled from the can or a glass. However, it also pairs beautifully with summery dishes so we’ve pulled together some tips for pairing wines with food and suggestions for our Grüner Veltliner in this blog!
There’s a few simple guidelines that you can follow to get the best results for pairing wines with food. A good pairing should make both the food and the wine better, and we’ve tried to narrow it down to 5 simple tips:
- Try to compliment or contrast the wines with food
- Choose wines that are more acidic or sweeter than the foods you’re eating
- Choose wines with a similar level of intensity to the food i.e. light food, light wine
- Salty and fatty foods lower tannins, bringing out the fruit character of the wine
- Bitter wines clash with bitter foods, so avoid dry red wines
Once you get the hang of pairing you can start to experiment with ideas, like lighter red wines with fish or sweet wines with pâté.
Our Grüner Veltliner is dry and herbaceous with lots of fruit character with mouth-watering peach and grapefruit, finishing with a lovely peppery spice. It’s medium bodied so can stand up to slightly more intense flavours than lighter white wines such as Pinot Grigio. Given that it’s in a can, you can also easily take it with you on a picnic so try it with Chicken Salad, pulled pork, oven roasted mackerel, vegetable stir fry or quiche.